Thursday, September 8, 2011

Tooth Update

So here is my lovely tooth update...wait until you hear this story!
And yes, this would only happen to me.  Anything that could possibly go wrong with someones teeth, will most likely happen to me.  

My appointment was scheduled for yesterday at 2:40pm, so I had to leave early from work to make it on time.  However, when I first woke up that morning, the pain was just gone.  I was pretty surprised - wasn't complaining of course - but after 3 straight days of pain, I was slightly confused.

And just a side note...since I have so many issues with my teeth, I'm constantly researching dental problems, scenarios, procedures, etc...I'm basically a wannabe dentist.  I even give advice at work. Ha...

For those of you who don't know, once a tooth starts really hurting, you're probably doomed for a root canal.  Contrary to popular belief, regular sized cavities don't hurt.  But once they get deep enough, move beyond your enamel & dentin and reach the "pulp" (AKA: nerve), that's when you feel the pain.  Once you feel the pain, the nerve is already infected and you need a root canal.

Back to my story:  So when I woke up yesterday morning, I was pleasantly shocked!  Teeth don't just stop hurting?!  So I went off to work pretty much expecting the pain to return sometime before for my appointment.  Well, I got to my appointment and there was still no pain.  My mouth felt completely normal.

My dentist searched all around my tooth, gums, and nearby teeth and couldn't visibly see anything wrong.  He then decided an X-ray would be best since there might have been an infection or something going on inside the tooth.  

So after the X-ray I wait...and wait....................and wait. 

Finally he comes back, holds the picture up to the light, and says, "Welp, I've been staring at this this for awhile now and I can't find anything wrong at all.  But I do see a little inflammation along the side of the tooth...so I think you pulled a ligament. It's pretty rare...but it does happen. Typically the pain only lasts 2-3 days, so that's probably why it's feeling better."

I PULLED A LIGAMENT IN MY TOOTH?!?  WHO DOES THAT????

Shea.

Shea does that.

And NO - I had NOT been pulling ligaments by using my mouth for "inappropriate" acts.  Come on people, let's keep this PG!

So overall, my appointment went much better than I expected and for once, there really wasn't anything wrong.  Yay!  ...no $1,000+ root canal!  Who knew I would be able to add "pulled ligament" to my list of mouth problems.  At least it's a good story :-)

Tomorrow is Friday and I am pumped!  Josh and I have 3 full days off together.  We're pretty busy each day, but it should still be fun!

XOXO,   

9 comments:

Miranda said...

a tooth with a pulled ligament?! that is crazy! never heard of it! but at least the pain went away!

Sasha said...

That is so weird, I've never even heard of that. But thats awesome you didn't have to have a root canal!

Ashley @ Places To Go, Things To Buy said...

Haha omg, that's so weird! I'm glad it wasn't anything bad! My brother is an endodontist (root canals....), as I'm sure your familiar, and he is married to a general dentist so I'm always going to them with teeth questions. Luckily I've never had a root canal (knock on wood) but I'm glad you're feeling better!

Becky said...

Very interesting and I'm sorry to say, funny. Thanks for the laugh, and the visit and follow. Following you back via GFC.

Emms said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I also love finding Jew boots and look forward to getting to know you!
Glad the pain was something so ok lol.

Anna said...

Glad it went better than expected and NO root canal! :)

Fash Boulevard said...

hey shea. super glad i found your blog. i'm following. I'd love if you'd check out my celebrity fashion and style blog and see if your interested in following too. Thanks love. xoxo

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

I'm so glad I found your blog! I love it already! This is one crazy tooth story!
Amanda
www.forloveofacupcake.blogspot.com

Breckan said...

What a weird thing. I'm glad it wasn't a root canal, too!