Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Wicked Weekend

Many months ago, my awesome mother surprised us all (me, Josh, my mom, & step-dad) with Wicked tickets.  I'm sure many of you are familiar with it already...but in case you don't know, it's a Broadway show and it's fabulous.  We didn't travel to NYC...the touring company just came to Pittsburgh.

Our Friday night:

Wicked is based around what happened prior to "The Wizard of Oz."  Therefore, to fully understand the story line, you need to be pretty familiar with Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Wicked Witch of the West, etc.  Needless to say, (for Josh's sake) we watched the The Wizard of Oz on Friday night in preparation for the show on Saturday....haha.  But wow...I am REALLY glad we did.  I forgot how many references there were and he probably would have been pretty confused.    

Our Saturday:

We woke up early Saturday morning and met Josh's parents at our favorite (breakfast) restaurant, Perkin's.  That was nice since his Gram was in town visiting and we don't get to see her as often as we'd like.

After that, we pretty much rushed home and got ready since we had tickets for the Matinee show.  Usually I prefer going at night, but my mom was able to get much better tickets if she chose the earlier show.  Good decision on her part because we had wonderful seats...about 10 rows from the stage.  Just far enough back that we could see the entire stage perfectly. 


As I mentioned above, Wicked was fabulous.  Like, so freaking good.  However, it was my second time seeing it and it will never compare to my first time.  I was fortunate enough to have seen the original broadway cast in NYC with Kristin Chenowith and Idina Menzel.  That night was magical.  I was pretty worried I was going to be disappointed with the traveling company, but I wasn't.  Their voices were SUBERB and they completely lived up to my expectations. 

Josh also loved it.  Let me just say, I am very thankful to have a husband that actually enjoys these kinds of things.  There are so many guys out there that would just refuse to see a musical with their girlfriend/wife because it's too "gay" or boring.  So thank you hubby - you are awesome.  

After the show, we all went out for dinner at Max & Erma's which is a fun restaurant that's right across the street from the theater.  It was nice to be on a "double date" with my parents...albeit different, but nice.

Our Sunday (today):

My former boss had a party at his cabin.  We got there at about noon and stayed until mid-afternoon.  No joke...it was by far, the nicest cabin I've ever seen in my entire life.  It was something you'd see on HGTV or something.  I really wish I would have taken pictures...but then again, it may have been weird if they caught me taking pictures of their bathroom.  It was right along the river too, so the view was just breathtaking.  

After we got home, we did our usual get-josh-ready-for-his-trip routine and now we're both curled up on the couch watching the Steeler game.  Ahem...Go Steelers!

So overall, this past weekend was wicked fun ;-)

4 comments:

Debs Dealz said...

Hi, Debs Dealz stopping by to follow you via GFC. I ran across your site and I love it!! I would like to invite you to check out by blog as well, and follow me back if you like, and/or like me on Facebook. We have daily blog hops...we would love to have you link up and participate!! We feel the blog hops are great ways to network with other bloggers, increase our followers and meet awesome people! We currently have the Monday Madness Blog Hop available to link up to. Stop on by!! Also, if you exchange buttons let me know!

http://www.debsdealz.blogspot.com

Thanks, Debs Dealz

Miranda said...

I would love to see Kristin Chenowith preform! I love her!

w.e.schwartz said...

I got the pleasure of seeing Wicked the first year it was on Broadway, which means I got to see Kristin Chenowith and Idina Menzel... Talk about AMAZING! I've since seen it 4 more times... Can't get enough Wicked!!

Jennifer said...

LOVE Wicked! I have seen it twice and loved every second of it. Glad you had a great weekend!